Bravely dive into one of the most controversial topics in the jewelry world: lab-grown, synthetic, man-made, artificial diamonds.
- What are we supposed to call these stones anyway?
- And how similar are they really to natural diamonds?
- And are they really more sustainable?
- How much should you really still be paying for something you can make a million of?
- Plus, Jack Lewis Jewelers doesn’t currently sell them, so why not?
Lots of questions and strong thoughts in a powerful episode that is sure to cause a ruckus.
It’s the pre-proposal show for dating couples designed to make engagement ring shopping easy, understandable, and fun. This is the CarterCast, filmed on location at Jack Lewis Jewelers in Bloomington, IL.
Lab Grown Diamond Discussion
What topics did we discuss in this episode? What to jump straight to the points you care about most? Click below.
- 0:34 – Most Controversial Topic Ever
- 01:10 – Defining Terms: “Laboratory Grown”
- 02:30 – Fake is Insulting
- 03:33 – What is a Laboratory Grown Diamond?
- 04:39 – The History of Lab Grown Stones
- 05:42 – The Tech Behind How They’re “Grown”
- 06:49 – FUN FACT!
- 08:22 – They Are NOT “The Same” as a Natural Diamond
- 10:14 – How a Synth-Detect Machine Can Tell the Difference
- 12:07 – Does a Lab-Grown Diamond Need a Grading Report?
- 15:45 – The Struggle to Price Lab-Grown Diamonds
- 17:13 – Could Lab-Grown Diamonds End Up Being Worth Zero?
- 18:10 – An Overly-Cynical Rant About Why These Exist
- 19:34 – The Importance of Competitive Natural Diamond Options
- 20:30 – Sustainability? Why Lab-Grown Diamonds are NOT “Green”
- 23:51 – Why Jack Lewis Jewelers Doesn’t Sell Lab-Grown Diamonds
- 25:33 – What the Price Should Be
- 26:39 – Carter’s Advice if You’re Considering a Lab-Grown Diamond
- 28:56 – The Symbolic Case for Natural Diamonds
- 31:55 – The Final Facet